meta data for this page
Notes on first round 2018
We started the mentoring programme in July 2018.
We asked people who were either interested in being mentored, or being a mentor (or both) to fill in some information about skills and goals respectively, and matched mentors with mentees.
The mentorship is usually one-on-one, but we have some cases where one mentor has more than one mentee.
We had a kickoff meeting in July where we discussed the format and this is what we settled on:
Timeframe and format
- The mentorship ran from end of July for roughly 3.5 months, through to mid November
- The first step for mentor and mentee was to arrange a meeting, face to face or by remote chat. At this meeting they should clarify what goals the mentee has, and draw up a strategy to move towards them; also, agree at what intervals to meet and where.
Ideas for additional support / projects
As some mentees will have similar goals, there were some ideas for projects outside the one-on-one mentorship. However, we will start these only once the mentorship has been running for a while. These ideas include
- Code Review via Git
- Starting a project that people can collaborate on (best not just a “toy” project)
- Pick an Open Source project to work on
- Organise an evening where people can present something they have learned or worked on
Thoughts on the mentoring process
There were some interesting comments from people who had experience with mentoring: Mentors should be careful to let the mentee take the lead, not just go by their own expectations and opinions of what’s important to learn. For mentees on the other hand it is important to not give up when they don’t progress as quickly as they were expecting to. Again, there was probably more.
Mentoring channel on Slack
We had started a #mentors channel on Slack, this is now for the mentorship programme in general. If you are not on Slack yet, and would like to join us, sign up here: http://slack.codehub.org.uk/
We collected feedback from mentors and mentees. You can read a summary here: You can also read about the feedback after the first round here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FZ17QCjLfDSmE6hvRKSyc7x8TdyFinKIqCamYc1fiBE/edit?usp=sharing
The mentoring programme was run by Mark and Katja, @smallhadroncollider and @katjad on Slack.